Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Flooding

The flood irrigation season is upon us. I start tomorrow at 6 AM and that means I need to make sure all of the debris is out of the downstream ditch today. I guess I had better go into town and get a burning permit as well. Then I can burn all of the junk I pull out of the ditch. But getting the permit is something I don’t like doing…you have to go to the “cat lady’s” shop to get it and it always smells so bad in there that you don’t want to linger there any longer than necessary.

The flooding will also help to discourage the gophers that I’ve been plagued with lately. I thought I had one cornered last week, but as I began to dig into his tunnel so that I could place the gas bomb…the trail suddenly disappeared. I couldn’t find the tunnel anywhere! And yesterday, when I looked at the same location, there was ample evidence that he had returned. Tomorrow, when the flood water reaches that spot, I will be waiting there with my trusty pitchfork.

I did learn that the water district had changed the gate at the canal to a screw actuated one. Just turn the handle and the gate opens. A great replacement for the old gate which you had to pull up and out of the canal, using a shovel to lever it up. This usually created a giant “burp” as the water rushed into the empty canal and that sprayed dirty water all over me. I had to brace myself for the expected cold shower each time I opened the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment