Friday, July 14, 2006

Modern Times

Friday is bringing us increased heat and I can already feel it, even at this early hour. From what I’ve read, we can see 108° by Monday or Tuesday. I do love the warmth of summer…but the extremes make me very sluggish. You have to move slower and time seems to crawl…something that drives me crazy!

Why is that? I’m retired! I shouldn’t worry about the “speed” of anything, yet I still get stressed when I pick the wrong line at the store. Or when I’m stuck in traffic. In fact, lines of any length automatically create tension for me. And at my age, you would think that I would be delighted to see time “crawling”.

So, what is it that makes me act this way? Some would say it’s our culture; after all, Americans invented “fast food” and assembly lines. Personally, I think has to be genetic and it’s a part of my personality type. Because, in a dichotomy of thoughts, I also dislike the frantic pace of big cities. So it’s not about speed at all. Sudden revelation…it’s all about me!

OK, too much amateur psychology at this early hour. There are far more important things to write about. Such as Pakistan. I have written about Pakistan before and the dangers that accompany our friendship with that nation. This week’s edition of the Economist has a great article detailing all of those dangers and the revelation that some in the current administration are “beginning” to have doubts about the stability of the Mushareff dictatorship. With two very unstable governments in the region (Pakistan and Israel) and with both of them equipped with nuclear weapons, we should all be very afraid. Yet we have decided to be their “friends”, in fact we sell weapons to both of them. And if they don’t have enough money to buy those weapons, we also give them financial aid. Brilliant!

Wouldn’t it be a strange occupation; being a diplomat? You would have to leave all common sense behind you. Lies would become truth and vice versa. And after a few years of this, would you even know the truth anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment