Saturday, July 22, 2006

Ugly!

There are a few parts of Glenn and Tehama counties that are just plain embarrassing. And those are the wrecking yards that are located along highway 99W, parallel with I-5. I’m old enough to remember Lady Bird Johnson and her campaign to clean up the highways of America. Laws were passed. And I remember that automobile junkyards were given a limited amount of time to build fences that screen their operations from the public view. And it’s not just the view; the soil in those yards has to be contaminated with a wide spectrum of toxic materials, including lead.

Has that law been removed or gutted by the Republicans? Or is it just being ignored by the Republicans that run Glenn and Tehama counties?

I suppose I could write to the EPA and complain, but Bush doesn’t let them do much enforcing these days…maybe I could write a letter to the editor? Except the local paper is a right-wing rag; no help there.

OK, I don’t have an answer yet…but I’m going to keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment