Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's Been Decided

Sunday morning, and I think we’re getting close to our limit. Heat is a good thing…in smaller doses. But I’ve seen the forecast and the extended forecast as well, and we’re not going to see any relief for at least a week. Next Sunday’s forecast shows a high of 97°, while we can expect a high of 111° today.

I have always been attracted to places that were warmer than usual for some odd reason. And I normally prefer hot over cold…Back in the day when I worked with my tools, I would bask in the heat! But of course I would always make sure that I started the workday at an early hour, to avoid the cruel and lingering heat of a late afternoon. In Arizona we would start the day at 3 in the morning during the months of July and August.

Being a concerned pet owner (how do you “own” a cat?) I have been careful to make sure that Boo has plenty of water and I try and get her to spend time inside the house, where it’s cooler. But she wants out! And out she goes whenever the door opens. Yesterday afternoon, in the hottest part of the day, I saw her curled up under the shrubs along the fence and I went to rescue her. Of course she was simply sleeping…on top of the moist and cool soil. Those shrubs are irrigated every morning and the ground stays moist for quite awhile. Smart cat! And to illustrate again how smart she is, when I went out to water the garden, she followed and then carefully folded herself into a small ball of fur in the middle of the still wet flower bed. There she could watch me in comfort.

All I have to worry about is the temperature; life elsewhere is far more complex and dangerous. World War III continues without a pause this week…

“Israeli warplanes pounded a religious complex in a refugee-filled southern port city and other Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon on Sunday. The guerrillas fired rocket after rocket into northern Israel, killing at least two people.”

Closer to home; this small headline caught my attention. “Convicted congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham; a new study says Cunningham took advantage of secrecy and badgered congressional aides to help slip items into classified bills that would benefit him and his associates. Cunningham's case puts a stark spotlight on the oversight of classified — or "black" — budgets.”

Another reason why secrecy in government needs to be curtailed. I wonder; is “secrecy” part of our Constitution? I suppose we could let “The Decider” tell us. What? He already has? Isn’t it wonderful to have a Decider to handle the tough questions in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment