Friday, November 3, 2006

Am I bored?

Friday and the end of the work week…if I had some work to do. I only have chores and tasks these days and there is no “Friday” for those. And it’s not quite as early for me to be awake so I can assume that last weekend’s transition from Daylight Savings time to Standard Time is finally starting to change my sleep patterns. That’s a good thing.

And what kind of progress have I made on my chores and tasks? I had promised to make Bill a pantry to hang on his laundry room wall and that’s about ¾ complete. I’m in the gluing stage with the small bits and pieces that make up the shelves and dividers. I am also building a step stool for Kyle and that only needs painting and a few finishing touches. For the Plant Barn, I have the fabric screen in production and now I’m undecided as to what color to paint the wood. The fabric is burlap; should I paint the legs red to match the seed displays? But…I’m thinking yellow might be nice.

I must admit that the “chores and tasks” are really things that I enjoy doing and it’s a good thing that Fridays never come. I take too many breaks as it is!

When I retired, I once had this weird vision of just how life was going to be. I would spend my early mornings reading, while enjoying a smooth cup of cappuccino or a latte in some pleasant coffee house. I would meet like minded individuals and intense, stimulating conversations would then ensue. After lunch I would pursue my artistic dreams. In the evening, I would enjoy a good book.

Notice that in my vision, it’s all about me. Wrong! That had to have come from my view of life when I was 18 and really into the coffee house/beat generation scene. Jack Kerouac, dark poetry and equally dark black and white “art” films were my obsessions at that time. Do I really want to go back to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment