Thursday, November 2, 2006

Plans

A rainy day and that’s a rare sight. But it’s the beginning of the wet season and we will see more of it soon enough. And with the rain, we are also seeing the leaves deserting the trees in a blizzard of color; covering the lawn and the driveway.

I’m wondering now; what did I have planned that this rain will interfere with? I have this nagging feeling that I have forgotten something…old age! Bah! Of course if I had written it all down I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

Speaking of plans, I have about four projects in progress in the garage and I need to get one finished. Just one of them needs to be complete and I will feel like I’m back in control; until the next time of course.

More plans; one of the vacation spots I want to put on my list is a visit to Minnesota. And to be more exact; Duluth and Tower. Those are cities (towns?) associated with dad and with Nana and I would love to see places that they once knew as home. Of course that would give us an excuse to see the Mall of America…who wouldn’t want to see that? And Lake Superior, plus 9,999 other lakes. And it wouldn’t be that far to drive down to Fort Madison, Iowa (536 miles) to see where my maternal grandfather, great grandfather and great-great grandfather came from. Imagine looking out onto the Mississippi river and knowing that at one time, my great-great grandmother lay dying on a steamship that had anchored there to ferry her and her family ashore.

On a different note; the elections are almost over and it’s getting sillier than ever before as the candidates fling the last of their campaign funds into the cesspool. And, according to what I have read, negative campaigning tends to decrease the voter turnout and this is a planned outcome. Yes, a lot of politicians don’t want you to vote! They already have a loyal bloc of voters and they don’t like voters they can’t control, so they try to discourage them.

Of course World War III won’t go away for the Republicans so a lot of them are doing their best to distance themselves from it. I would love to see one responsible person tell the country the truth about this war; that it was started under false pretenses but now it’s time to do the right thing and not abandon the Iraqi people. Respect them, ask for their forgiveness (and ours) and ask them what they would like us to do to help them get back on their feet. Then do it.

The so-called War on Terror doesn’t belong in Iraq. The whole world is that insane battleground and always has been. And killing Iraqi civilians doesn’t make anyone safer. The war needs to be fought globally with the tools of mutual respect, aid and education, not bombs

No comments:

Post a Comment