Thursday, March 1, 2007

Tax Time

So much for plans and planning. As usual, I forgot that we had an appointment yesterday morning to have our taxes prepared and so my exercise plans went by the wayside. So I’m just one day off, no big deal. I will get in an 8 or 9 mile walk this morning and that should be enough to get me through the race on Saturday.

As expected, the visit to the CPA was painless and pleasant. We have tried various tax preparers through the years; even doing it ourselves a few times. And the usual result was tension; tension that lasted until we assumed that the IRS had finally accepted our explanation of how we came to receive xx number of dollars as a refund. Even then we were still a little bit nervous. Of course we deserved a refund! But did the IRS know that?

Now, being retired, everything changes. Our income is basically static and there are no deductions for taxes owed, so we have to estimate our taxes and pay them quarterly. We have no unexpected tax liabilities and also not many places to look for a possible refund. The only possible deductions would be for medical and who wants that?

And this tax time also brings back memories, memories of Mr. Jackson. He prepared our taxes back in the days when I was working in construction; both piece work and hourly. He seemed to specialize in preparing returns for construction workers; though he had a very large clientele. You had to make your appointments early! He was an older black man; living in one of those large and stately homes in the “Kosher Canyon” district of Los Angeles. I never knew his first name; he was simply Mr. Jackson. It wasn’t that he wasn’t friendly; he was, but he had a certain air of dignity about him that didn’t allow for first name casualness. I was Mr. Dunn and he was Mr. Jackson. I liked that...and still do.

And Mr. Jackson had been born with a right hand that had no fingers. And so I found it fascinating to watch him as he used a calculator far faster than I could have ever done it; just using his ‘fist’.

And the refunds! Scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment