Sunday, April 15, 2007

Imagine That!

Home again after a quick trip to Susanville to swap vehicles. I got my truck back and returned Bill’s FJ Cruiser. I got the worst end of the deal and I’m glad to have the truck back. And to get to Susanville, we had to make this ill considered trip through a spring snowstorm. It’s been awhile since I last drove through a wintry looking storm, flakes falling fast and furious while the outside temperatures quickly fall. It’s still not fun.

Now that we’re home, I have to wander out to the orchard and see what’s blowing around out there. Hopefully, there will be no trees down.

There was only a loose tarp out there, one that I used to cover the mower from the rain on Saturday. How much rain did we get? I’m sure it rained all of the time I was battling snow. I’m thinking that I would like to get a home weather station; I would know how much rain we had and I would know just how windy it is right now. The forecast says 25 mph gusts and I think they’re closer to 40 mph.

The wind drives me crazy; OK, not really crazy. It just irritates me a lot. Although I do get a certain amount of satisfaction from watching the winds shake the trees while we are snug in our house.

I was reading an article in Wired magazine this morning; one that really spoke to me. So I googled (the verb) “wired einstein” and found this piece from the Seattle P-I with a link. Follow the link or go there directly.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge," a comment from Einstein that should be written on school blackboards 1,000 times by superintendents, principals and teachers. Oh, yes…and parents as well. The young kids already know it; until we forcibly remove it from their psyche.

11 comments:

  1. You know, I thought I saw you two driving down 36 yesterday morning, while I was on my way to Susanville... Trying to sneak through without a visit, I see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    Not at all, my dear granddaughter...You were observed heading out of town (east) by your eagle eyed grandmother. So we had to give up our plans to visit.

    How's that for quick thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:47 PM

    Hmmm...I was also in the area...and I NEVER encountered one snowflake all day Sunday...In fact I sat on Shannon's porch and soaked up the sun...hmm...perhaps the snow storm was just on top of you??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:45 AM

    Saturday...the storm was on Saturday! We returned Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 PM

    ok...but I still didn't see much on SATURDAY when I drove up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:39 AM

    Oh, yeah? well, we were on highway 36, not 32 and it was SNOWING on 36!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:14 AM

    ok...obviously we were on different roads...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I think I'll stay out of this conversation.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too late daughter...you DID jump in to this conversation so now you have to pick a side. So the question is, was it or wasn't it snowing heavily on the day and the highway in question? I think that's the question.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that like the "if a tree falls in the forest..." question? I have a feeling you both observed the weather, and I'm quite certain it was different in both places. It is kind of like our history. That's what it is, "his-story". Its not called ourstory, right? One man's observation...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, as we know...the victor gets to write the history. So it sounds like we need to declare a winner. That would be me. My blog, my victory.

    ReplyDelete