Monday, May 14, 2007

Downtown

Uh oh…it’s going to be warm today. It’s already 65° at 5:30 AM. And the wind is still blowing; raising the temperature. I was just wandering around outside a few moments ago, looking at the empty pool and wishing.


Oh well, back to the reality of the world. And one of the things I wanted to look at this morning was data about the city of Truckee. Granddaughter Shannon wants to move to Truckee and I wondered if she had read any of this…


I happen to like Truckee. It’s a great location, being midway (sort of) between Sacramento and Reno and very close to Tahoe. And being an old guy, I have funny memories of Truckee. When our family would travel through Truckee in the late 1940’s, we would travel on graveled roads. Paving was not part of the Truckee scene until the mid 1950’s. Interstate 80 didn’t exist back then so there were fewer visitors to this small town. Here’s a photo from 1945. I wonder if that’s our family car? (3rd from the right)


Back to the news. Here’s one that caught my eye.


“…Before leaving, my mother had purchased a small tube of lotion and put it in her purse. When she got to the security checkpoint at the airport, she realized she still had the lotion. She handed it over to the TSA worker who told her that it would be donated to a local homeless shelter.”


What’s wrong with that scenario? How about this: the TSA worker didn’t say the lotion would be tested thoroughly to be certain it was not an explosive before giving it to the shelter. She didn’t say that the collected lotions and other liquids would be destroyed so that they could never be used against innocent Americans. No; it’s already understood by the TSA worker that the lotion is safe and it’s simply a ritual that the two of them perform, the passenger and the agent, both brainless. Now; don’t you feel safer?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Grandpa! I sent the links on to Ayme, (my future roommate). That picture of downtown Truckee looks familiar... not much seems to have changed, which I value in a community!

    ReplyDelete