Wednesday, June 27, 2007

More Work

Another frustrating morning. Every other website seems to be ‘unavailable’. Is it my satellite connection? Maybe I should begin calling AT&T every day and asking them about the wonderful DSL service that they are advertising. Of course I already know it’s not available on this road, but if I were to pester them? No, it would only frustrate me and AT&T wouldn’t even notice.


And speaking of satellite service, I ran across a photo of a neighborhood (apartments) in Holland where all of the satellite dishes had been painted by artists in an attempt to beautify the neighborhood. Colorful, yes, beautiful, no. I would include an image here...but my satellite service says, 'no!" That leads me to the subject of colorful painting and that’s what I’m doing in the dining room. Painting colorfully. It’s a slow go, as painting dark colors over light inevitably creates tiny ‘holidays’ where the color is missing. Little pinpricks of light in an ocean of rich color. So you roll it again and again. And you can come back six months later and find places you missed. Guaranteed.


But that’s still better than trying to paint light on top of light. The new ceiling color is only a few shades different from the previous one and almost impossible to see when you are rolling it on. I was really frustrated by the process and probably put a lot more paint on the ceiling than I needed to. I have heard about a paint that remains pink until it is dry, when it reverts to the color you picked. Now that would be great! (There’s a brand of spackle that does that trick as well.)



We’re doing the entire room in the one color, which will harmonize beautifully, or so we hope… with the adjoining room. What you can’t see in these images is the white molding that will be installed at the ceiling line. I don’t like crown moldings unless they are in really large and tall rooms. The normal sized crown molding usually overpowers a room, so I use fancy door trim instead. Smaller, yet interesting. And I am thinking of adding a second trim about 6 inches below the ceiling trim. A fancy chair rail trim that is only about 1-1/2 inches wide. Almost forgot...there's a 4" white baseboard to replace that tiny brown one you see above.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:21 AM

    I saw the same link for the colorful Satellite photo and I agree. They should all have tile on them!!! Mosaics facing the sun...I like it :-)(kidding) I like the color of your walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I'm tempted. I have a dish that isn't doing anything at all ever since we disconnected.

    And in the same photo...did you notice the 'hooks' above each balcony? Used for hoisting things in and out of the apartments.

    ReplyDelete