Saturday, September 1, 2007

Changes

Here it is. The day. I made it. I’m officially 67 years old. And I’m living in a century that I didn’t think I would ever see. When you’re only…let’s say 27, you can’t fathom what it is like to say the words, ‘It’s 2007 and I’m 67 years old’. Huh? But now there is another target to hit; 87. And it’s only twenty years from this day. September 1st, 2027. In twenty years our daughters will be looking closely at their own retirements. Our son, the youngest, and a state employee…will be retired. Colum, our great-grandson, will be 21. That will make Zack close to 45. Karlee will be closing in on 29 and Kyle will be 27. Meghan will be ‘29’, while Shannon will be ‘39’. The twins will be 24- and a half!

Today, in the 21st century and living in Orland, being 67 is no big deal. I’m going to have to hit that 87 number before I get much respect around here. America is showing its age in the increasing numbers of retired citizens. Citizens who live much longer than was anticipated back in the 30’s and 40’s of the previous century.

Now the crunch begins. How will America pay for our care? That was a promise made to us and now you can see the politicians fretting as they try to come up with a plan that will save the day. In other words, a plan that will get them re-elected and upset the least amount of people.

And speaking of age; I see that Senator Warner is finally retiring. It’s about time. He is over 80 years old and I’m of the opinion that lawmakers should be forcibly retired at the age of 65 or 70, at the latest. After the age of 70, they all seem to become paralyzed in their views of the world. Every day is Groundhog Day. Change becomes a word met with scorn by these dinosaurs. To be truthful, most older lawmakers embarrass me by their ignorance of the world around them. Technology is lost on them.

Seniors aren’t without power. As a voting (and buying) bloc, we increase in numbers every day. So we need lawmakers who are open to change and will accommodate our needs. And they know it.

4 comments:

  1. Oops! Karlee and Meghan can't both be '29' at the same time. I believe Miss Meg's would be '33' and Shannon 43' when Karlee is '29'. Unless there is some other fancy math I didn't learn in school?....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Look again...I used some distinguishing punctuation around those ages. And I do remember your Mom being '29' for a couple of years. And once again, when she was '39' for 4 or 5 years. '49' same story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:12 AM

    Hope you had a Happy Birthday, Steve. I was thinking of you this weekend but was not near a computer. Went to California to cool off. HAH! It was 112 at Dalene's and only 108 here in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Thanks! Sorry about your weekend. All that heat and no computer. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete