Saturday, November 24, 2007

Not Surprised

I have been reading the rail travel adventures on the Day Trippers blog. And it has brought back memories of our trips to downtown Los Angeles and Union station to pick up Grandma Dot whenever she traveled to see us during the holidays. I remember that there were two trains; the Daylight and the Starlight, which would make the trip between Seattle and Los Angeles. And when I saw them, in the 1940’s, they were steam trains. Huge black machines that seemed restless and eager to move, even when in the station; great bursts of excess steam and water would pour out from beneath the engine and scatter any crowd that had come too close.

I have traveled all of the way across the country by rail; furlough coach class. An experience I wouldn’t want to repeat. But I did look up the cost of a trip from Chico to Tacoma; a trip we would be likely to take if we were to visit our friends on Vashon Island. OK, the Amtrak website is less than friendly, but I found that a trip in a Superliner roomette? would cost us $239 each one way. So, that makes it a thousand dollars for us to go round trip. Pricey!

No comments:

Post a Comment