Sunday, January 20, 2008

1963/2007

Another fine morning. And I’ve been wandering around the web world of inflation and that’s where I discovered the governments little tool for figuring out how inflation has changed things for us.

First things first; I had to see how much (2007) money I was making back in 1963. I had just quit my job as a Texaco service station attendant ($1.75/hour) and had become an apprentice carpenter at $2.50 an hour. The $1.75 calculates out to $11.86/hour and the apprentice wages (50% of journeyman wages) work out to $16.94/hour.

Yes, back in those days that was normal. We were able to buy houses, food and go to the doctor without fear of bankruptcy. And we were simply ‘average’ Americans. What a life!

So, what did we do wrong? Or, maybe it wasn’t us? Who could have wanted our money and our power? And why did we let them take it?

By the way; gasoline was about $2.10 a gallon in 2007 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment