Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Direction

It’s almost over now. I just have to load the barbecue back onto the truck sometime today and get it home safely. Our New York themed celebration went off well and I ended up cooking 45 steaks for dinner! Now, I’m not a big fan of steaks, but I have to admit that these turned out well. A New York strip, cut to about 1” thick, no seasonings, no sauces. Coated with a mix of butter and corn oil and then allowed to drain. Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper applied to both sides.

I cooked all of them to order and luckily I had about 37 orders for medium; that was easy. 5 wanted them rare and 3 ordered well-done. I ended up having plenty of practice in the art of ‘gauging by poking’. With my right hand in a glove, I poked the steaks with my index finger to determine how they were cooking. A method that I had heard of long ago and then had read about it once again in the recipe I was using.

With the completion of the dinner, we both felt a great sense of relief. All the stress drained away. We were through with the obligations of the old year! Sure, we’re going to continue to volunteer in the community, but we’re going to be focusing on those things that fit within our own plans. We’re going to take more two and three day trips. We’re going to return to the arts. We’re going to paint and write more often. I have half a dozen art projects that need a devotion of time for inspiration. Your mind needs to be free of distractions if you want to create.

I know that sounds suspiciously like a New Years Resolution. And it may turn out to be just that. But…it’s a start in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment