Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Party Time

Aging is in the news this morning. With John McCain winning the Republican primary in Florida (Home of the Aging), his age is now front and center. Time Goes By has a good article on the phenomena of equating age with disability.

I’m 67 and a half, almost. But I will be 68 at election time. And John McCain is not my candidate. Not now. Part of the reason for not supporting him is his age. To be truthful, most elders don’t like change. Most elders are conservative. If that is a description of John McCain, then he will never be my candidate. And I will vote for the candidate that promises change. (Heck, they all do.) The candidate with fresh ideas. A candidate that embraces science. A candidate that rejects anything that smacks of theocracies. Of course that could change. I’m not a Party animal (sheep) so I am free to vote for who I please.

No comments:

Post a Comment