Sunday, February 24, 2008

What I know...

Lucky for us, the big storm isn’t. Sure, it’s still raining and it’s quite windy, but the 60 mph gusts have been absent overnight. Maybe 45 mph, tops. Of course I’m writing this down without visible evidence to the contrary. It’s still dark and for all I know, the trees in the orchard and out in front are all down…but I doubt it.

I do know that that the almond trees in Glenn and Butte counties are still vulnerable and with this rain softening the soil, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that even more trees have been lost. I was driving to Durham yesterday, via Ord Bend, and I hadn’t been that way in quite awhile. (The road floods quite often) I was surprised to see that many of the devastated orchards were still in the same condition as they were on January 6th, trees down everywhere, especially around Dayton. Most of the almond growers along Highway 32 have begun/finished cutting up the fallen trees that littered the orchards.

And it’s on mornings like this that I’m grateful for the previous owners’ attention to detail when they were building this house. Well insulated with double paned windows and a concrete tile roof. We can just barely hear the wind blowing and the driven rain on the windows is muted.

No comments:

Post a Comment