Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is it forever yet?

Not a good start for the day. Lying on the floor in the dark while I do my stretches to relieve the pain in my hip. It’s what the physical therapist told me to do…once an hour. Forever, or for the foreseeable future; whichever comes first. OK, stretches are done and it’s time for coffee.

First it was Facebook and now Twitter. Facebook makes sense as a lot of the classier news organizations can be found there. And that’s my excuse for signing on. So what is with this Twitter thing I’ve embarked upon; again? Tried it once when it first showed up but couldn’t see the hook. So I was thinking about it last night; for one, it closely resembles how I speak, normally. In snippets. I have a tendency to leave off the last few words in a sentence and let the listener intuit them. Why not? That’s what I do when I’m the listener. Anyway, I’m giving it a try again.

The wind has died down this morning and that’s a good thing. The computer took a hit last night when it the power failed about 4 times and I had turned it on again about 3 times. Should have left it off. I had to reset the internal clock and that’s not a good sign. At least I noticed the dates were wrong before I started writing files. But these mini power outages have me all fired up about public utilities in general and PG&E specifically. It’s 2008 and we’re still depending on wires stretched between wooden sticks. Exactly as we did 100 years ago. Hello? It’s the 21st century; bury those lines!

Along those same lines…Ha! get it? I was listening to Talk of the Nation yesterday and the guest was speaking about how the IRS was the only department that had entered this century. They want your money and so their internet presence is designed to make it easy for you to give it to them. The other departments are not so friendly. They really don’t want to hear from you and have a minimal presence on the internet. Then he pointed out how so many other nations, large and small, had given their connected citizens a much larger voice in the government. Best line of the program; our elected representatives don’t know the difference between a server and a waiter. Too true! Take a listen, it’s only 13 minutes long…or read this. Same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment