Monday, April 14, 2008

Twitter?

Reading the Garrison Keillor piece this morning I was reminded of how certain personality types can bring out the best in you. I know, for a fact, that if I were to sit down for any length of time with Mr. Keillor, we would have a great conversation. Discussing this and arguing that; repartee. (I love that word) What if I were to say, ‘verbal sparks’? No, it’s not as good as repartee. Google it; you'll see.

I’ve known a dozen, probably less, that can do that to me. (And none were celebrities as Mr. Keillor is) My last ‘boss’ was like that. He was a physics major that had graduated from Carnegie Mellon and he was an Extrovert to the max. If no one was listening, he would hold conversations with himself just to be talking! And he had an opinion on everything. He didn’t limit himself to the world of physics. My first ‘boss’ was the same; having an opinion on everything and letting you know about it. We had some wicked repartee! Another one was a former Hell’s Angel, a lather and a foreman like myself. You never know where you’ll find them. But you know it when you find one...

But, you can’t do any of this with a word processor and a Blogger account. It’s pretty much one sided repartee and that doesn't fit the description. Twitter? I don’t think so. You need some immediacy in the give and take of a good conversation. Twitter is fast, but not fast enough...yet. In the future, I see it happening, immediate conversation on any subject, 24/7. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment