Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just Rambling

Here we go again, another day of fun and frolic. Or not. I've browsed the news and the blogs and can't seem to find a lot of fun so I'll finish my story about CraigsList. It's been awhile since I've had to hire someone, yet I found the same mistakes in these current applications that I experienced 20 years ago. Doesn't anyone teach the 'how to's' of job applications? In high school? Truth is, the schools fail us in this regard, just as they did when I was in school. They really should have a Life 101 course for each of the 4 years of high school.

Sure, I was only hiring someone to do some pruning, but really…spelling and grammar count. And since the email was going to be their only chance of winning me over, shouldn't it be the very best they can do? I can't see them and be charmed by their smile and firm handshake. Their written words have to do the job. And 90% failed.

Back in the day…when I was an instructor for the Carpenters Apprenticeship classes, I used to teach a small segment on 'how to get a job' and it was easily the most popular class. Truth was, it was the only class they liked!

Another thing I noted about these job applications was the fact that about half had used someone else's email account to send their application. OK, that tells me they don't a computer of their own or access to one on a regular basis. And I can't help but think about the project that was created to build and deliver $100 laptops to children in the poorer nations of the world. But I don't think we've finished supplying the need here at home. Our library here on the Planet Orland has about 8 public computers and they are always in use and a waiting list is filled. They could easily use 8 more.

A computer is no longer a luxury. It's a necessity. It is where the information is. And without information, where are we? Headed back to the Dark Ages…

No comments:

Post a Comment