Friday, January 16, 2009

No More

I did it. I put another nail in the coffin of the 'real' newspaper business. I posted an ad on CraigsList and it cost me zip. Zero. And it wasn't my first ad, I've done this before. This time I ran an ad looking for someone to do pruning in our small orchard. I think I got 17 responses in a day and a half. Not bad. It's a negative comment on the economy but a good one for me. And I couldn't help but think of how the 'real' newspaper ad business worked. First; you had to call the newspaper and get the advertising department. Then you had to tell someone how you wanted the ad to read. No help was given here as they wanted you to use lots of words! After that, you were given dozens of options; did you want BOLD or a box around the ad? Photos? Etc, etc. And how many days did you want that ad to run? 'Thank you, sir. That'll be $95 please.'

No comments:

Post a Comment