Thursday, December 24, 2009

Despite Fragile Health

Byrd Is Present for Votes - NYTimes.com:

"As the president pro tempore of the Senate (which places him third in the presidential line of succession), Mr. Byrd is provided a round-the-clock security detail from the United States Capitol Police, who ferry him to and from the Capitol."

He's 92 years old! Why is he still a Senator? We force commercial airline pilots to retire at 65 because of safety concerns. Why do we let lawmakers continue on, way past the point of 'safety'?

I know...it's an old and useless rant, but darn it, I'm very much a liberal and I would want every liberal vote possible in the Senate, but the Senate is full of old men...who really need to retire. I want fresh ideas from lawmakers, not the same old thing. And I'm getting close to 70 years old myself...I know that you can't be a star at age 75 or 80. These people are only fooling themselves if they think they can do the job that should be done as our representatives.

Oh, well. I feel better for saying it. And I do wish Mr. Byrd a long, long life...but not as a Senator.

No comments:

Post a Comment