Saturday, April 24, 2010

S. Carolina

As is my my habit, I was reading Mature Landscaping this afternoon and found that I had a comment on my mind after reading about the Lt. Governor of S. Carolina, a certain Mr. Bauer. And if you read the post I have linked above, you can read it as well. In short, he says that the citizens of S. Carolina...the poor citizens of S. Carolina are lazy. And he thinks the cure for what ails the state is for these lazy citizens to do their part and start picking fruit or cotton or whatever is to be found to be picked. To get off the welfare rolls!

My comment is as follows...

As a citizen of the scarlet center of California; that part where agriculture is king, we have to put up with fools who parrot that 'lazy citizens' talk all of the time. There's a reason that people don't get jobs picking fruit or harvesting whatever...it takes a good deal of skill and no farmer will risk his crop to rank amateurs. But for simple minded politicians like Mr. Bauer, the truth is better left alone especially when the alternative to the truth gets the electorate all fired up with indignation. And no farmers will correct the fool; they're republicans as well!

I was going to put the comment in the Comment section of the blog and go about my business...but I couldn't find a Comment section. I looked everywhere and then decided to simply write about it here instead.

I am not well acquainted with S. Carolina. Around 2002, I drove from one branch office in Charlotte down to another office in Atlanta. Like most of the southeast, it's lush and green everywhere you look. But we were on the interstate and so my memories of S. Carolina were that it's the fireworks capital of the nation; there are places to buy fireworks, year round, at just about every off ramp. Also at the off and on ramps were Waffle Houses and usually one on each side of that particular exit. Third, I've never seen so many billboards on an interstate and I'm talking about the biggest ones I had ever seen! But, like most states, the view from the interstate is always misleading. I do remember saying that when I retired and stopped traveling for a living, the south was the place I wanted to revisit first. 

4 comments:

  1. Blogger In Draft just throws me every time! You have to engage the Comments Section all over again in each post! As usual, I get in such a hurry to throw my fabulous phrases out there into the blog-o-net, I forget to engage Comments! I blame Old Age Attention Deficit Disorder. Please, won't you copy and paste your great comment into my site?

    Oh, and you left out the strip clubs in your description of our area; we've got almost as many strip clubs as we do evangelical churches...in the name of fair and balanced, you know. Oh, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to engage Comments? I don't do that and I think I get a comments section each time.

    Where we live...in the Red, this little town of Orland once made Ripley's Believe it or Not (1930's?) when they had the both the most bars and the most churches in the nation per capita or something like that. The bars are gone and the churches still think it's 1930.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, when I make Blogger In Draft my default Dashboard (as opposed to regular Blogger), I do, indeed, have to input a choice at the bottom of each post to include or exclude comments. That's all I need is one more source of confusion...no, wait, that's not fair; I started this blogging thing as a neuron-builder, in lieu of cross-word puzzles. I'm in over my head! Thanks so much for priming the pump. I'll have to check out Orland on Google Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here’s some interesting stuff about South Carolina:
    --beautiful beaches
    --relaxed pace
    --great oysters
    --in 2008, received almost $28 billion in federal assistance (including SS funds to individuals)
    --state is 14th in the list of recipients of federal dollars although 24th in terms of population (in other words, at this point, people in SC receive more tax dollars from the fed than they send to Washington)
    --SC congressional district receiving largest amount of federal aid is CD#2, home of Rep. Joe Wilson (remember him?)

    ReplyDelete