Thursday, April 15, 2010

Should doctors Google their patients? | KevinMD.com

From KevinMD.com
I subscribe to this weekly newsletter and have found some very interesting articles on it. As someone who is aging...and not all that gracefully, medical information seems much more important to me than ever before. The time I spent working in the medical field was almost 50 years ago and my medical knowledge has shrunk accordingly. Some things never change and so my Anatomy & Physiology knowledge is still okay, but my clinical and pharmacy skills are non-existent...so I use Google a lot. And to be truthful, I am still baffled by this article. I don't know that any of my doctors use the internet in their practice. How would they have time to Google anyone? Not that I would mind if they did search me out; there is precious little to discover. I know, I've tried. Unethical? Not even close.

This same newsletter takes note of the fact that Twitter helps to spread medical mis-information. I'm not surprised. Twitter does the same thing that the old fashioned gossip over the back fence did. And what would help to curb this? More information from doctors. Doctors like Dr. Kevin Pho who know how to use the internet. He even Tweets! (I wish he were my doctor)

No comments:

Post a Comment