Wednesday, May 19, 2010

One dollar

Wednesday. Another day and another dollar, or so it used to be said. I wonder what the inflation rate has done to the dollar that was being referred to in the old saying? How old? The best I could come up with was 1897 and that was, originally, more days, more dollars. Anyway, back to today and it started out with an early trip (6:00 AM) to the local lab for a fasting blood draw. I had hoped to be first in line but was disappointed to see half a dozen cars in the parking lot. In I went and was greeted by the sight of five adults with their heads tilted back, two with their mouths gaping open as they watched the television set high on the wall of the waiting room. Did they see me enter the room? No. They only looked disconcerted when I passed in front of them on my way to the receptionist. And on my way back to find a chair. From my vantage point, I noted their unblinking stare as a 'talking head' explained the local news to them. It's no wonder that newspapers are going out of business. How can they compete with a news machine that hypnotizes its viewers?

The blood draw, once I made my way to the top of the list, was quick and painless as always. I made my way through the now empty waiting room, wondering how they made the people leave? Did they have to threaten them? And that made me think about the airports I have been in and how I had seen the same mesmerized stare from passengers seated where they could see that big screen. I used to take a seat under the television whenever I could as that was the best place for people watching…no one ever notices the person sitting under the screen.

Once home, I had just begun to think about what I was going to eat after my forced fast when the phone rang. It was the lab and they wanted me to return. It seems that they hadn't drawn enough blood; forgetting that I had brought two lab requests with me. Oh, well. So back I went and was quickly punctured once more. No waiting this time!

Home again and with a cup of tea in my hand, I decided to vote in the June primaries. I had to vote for Jerry Brown, the only candidate without a hidden agenda. He's the same age as I am and will be retiring after this, win or lose. There were also some offices where I didn't know the candidates, primarily because the offices were less than important; to me. Here I voted the Hispanic ticket. If they had a Hispanic surname, they got my vote. It was less than responsible on my part and I should be ashamed of it, but it seemed fair at the time and now the envelope is sealed and it's a done deal.

I'm planning on doing some more painting today. I got in some good sketching time last night and have two possible paintings to start. I also have a couple of gourds I'm working on and hope to finish the copper work for them today. I've been churning out some paintings these past few days; almost all are in acrylic as I'm finding it to be 'more fun' to paint with.

Speaking of acrylics; I ordered some paints and mediums from Blick a week or so ago and when I realized that I hadn't seen the order and I was also running low on Golden Light Modeling Paste, I decided to check the tracking number. Unfortunately for me, it was USPS and not UPS. The tracking info revealed that the carrier had been to the house on Friday and had not left the package, but left a notice and returned the package to the local post office. Well, there was no notice anywhere around so we went to the post office where they told my wife that they knew nothing about it and a search of the post office came up empty. We returned a little while later with the tracking number and were told that they would take it up with the carrier when he came in. And then they would call us. Right. No, they never called and so we will have to return to the post office where I'm sure they will replay the scenario for us. "We've looked everywhere and can't find it. We'll ask the carrier when he gets in and give you a call."

I don't know what kind of a price break USPS gives out, but I do know that every delivery problem I've ever had came from USPS. So I will write to Blick and tell them I will pay extra to have my orders come via UPS. It will be worth it.

The sky is getting cloudy now. We're supposed to see some more rain this afternoon and that will be great for my young garden. I have tomatoes, radishes, carrots, peppers and eggplant in my edible garden with a wide variety of gourds in my non-edible section.

I'm in a quandary here; I planted the gourds to use for my art projects but the house is for sale. The gourds won't be harvested until February or March of next year. We hope to be long gone by then. I wonder if I can write in a harvesting clause in the sale documents?

No comments:

Post a Comment