Wednesday, October 24, 2018

I've voted-

-about a week ago. My ballot is already in the office of the County Registrar. I have been voting by mail since the mid 90's and can't imagine doing it any other way. The last time I used a voting booth, it was for a national election and that voting 'booth' was a cheap cardboard and canvas affair that offered no real privacy; no space or time to contemplate the decisions I was about to make. This 'booth' was located in the garage space of the local volunteer fire department for Janesville California; a town with no traffic signals and most houses had no number addresses. Okay, it was quaint, I will give you that, but after watching the election officials at work, I was in no way certain that my vote would ever be counted correctly or...at all. The officials were all close to the age of 90 and they seemed to be struggling with the process. By the time another election rolled around we had moved and I was able to use an 'Absentee' ballot. I continued to do that for many years, even when I was at home.

Before retiring, I worked for a large international construction company, with headquarters in Lenexa KS. I had to visit there quite often as our small group was headquartered nearby at Bonner Springs and over time I became well acquainted with that part of Kansas/Missouri; especially Johnson County KS. And that County impressed me because of their voting rules. Voting was actively encouraged! Voters were given a week or more to cast a ballot...I just checked with the Johnson County website and voting began Oct 22nd and will end on Nov 3rd. Then one day of voting again on Nov 6th. That adds up to 2 weeks of voting opportunity. 

Before giving me grief because of my criticism of 90+ year olds and their abilities, please know that I am 78 years old and I don't believe that I should be entrusted with anyones ballot. Vote by mail and a clerk in the Registrar's office will handle the process competently. Please, don't trust me or anyone older than I am to handle your ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment