Saturday, May 13, 2023

Not much going on today...

 My our son and daughter in-law are heading back to their home in Idaho. At least we were able to spend close to 2 days with them. Idaho is a long way away from here and I don't know when we will see them again. They have a brand new house in Idaho and I will never see it. With COPD, I can't cross the Sierra's or the Wasatch and Rockies without supplemental oxygen. 

 Yesterday I wrote about some earthquakes but I forgot to mention the most powerful of all (within my knowledge) which was the New Madrid quake in Missouri in 1811 & 1806. The quake changed the path of the Mississipi. It destroyed log cabins across the praire and a tribe of Indians were drowned and the village destroyed. "The 1811–1812 New Madrid earthquakes (/ˈmædrɪd/) were a series of intense intraplate earthquakes beginning with and initial earthquake of moment magnitude 7.2–8.2 on December 16, 1811, followed by a moment magnitude 7.4 aftershock on the same day. Two additional earthquakes of similar magnitude followed in January and February 1812. They remain the most powerful earthquakes to hit the contiguous United States east of the Rocky Mountains in recorded history.[10][11][12] The earthquakes, as well as the seismic zone of their occurrence, were named for the Mississippi River town of New Madrid, then part of the Louisiana Territory and now within the U.S. state of Missouri."

Some eyewitness reports can be found on Wikipedia and they are very interesting.

I had a chance to take a walk with my son; I used my walker while my son strolled. I can feel my COPD advancing every day and right now my sense of balance is fragile...while our family was here, we ordered dinner last night, from a great Chinese restaurant. of course we have left-overs. I had asked for pan fried noodles and I hope there are enough left over for dinner tonight.

We just heard from our grandson and he will be over in about an hour. No one told him to visit us; he just decided he wanted to see us. He, and his sister, twins, are our youngest granchilden at 20 years old. Of course I have hundreds upon hundreds of photos of the two of them. For years, they came to our house in Orland so that we could take them to swimming lessons. After the lessons in the cold municipal pool, they were to get into the warm water of our own pool. They were water safe in just a few years of lessons.  The outside temp is up to 93 degrees, inside it is 79 degrees. Time for me to get back to photo culling and editing so that our children don't think we are doo-efs (sp)

 





No comments:

Post a Comment