Saturday, June 17, 2023

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

 

Let's get it out in the open. I have an Opinion about the South and it's not a pleasant one. That opinon is probably due to the fact that I had been stationed in North Carolina in 1960 - 61. Jacksonville to be exact. Being from Southern California, segragation  made no sense to me. Why would it matter that a drinking fountain had been used by a human of a different color? Or waiting for a bus in a separate room? Then sitting in the back of said bus? Why? As a Navy Hospital Corpsman, I already knew that all humans look alike without their skin. What was the matter with these 'chuckleheads'?

Later in my life, I went to NC again, but to see the head of our IT dep't. That was in Charlotte NC and I didn't see any segragation in places I visited. That was probably due to the fact that Charlotte had become corporate headquarters for many large corporation and the employees that had come with them didn't appear to have any problem with integration. Also NC had become a Wayback State...for those in the Northeast that had found the deep south to be less than welcoming. NC was a good place to settle on their Wayback north. 

Then, in the 90's, I was an instructor /programmer and I had to go to deepest GA to ply my trade at one our branch offices. Oh oh, it was a flashback to the 1960's! And it was always unpleasant to have to board that airplane on a Monday morning, knowing that I would have to spend the rest of the week in GA.

Now I know that there are plenty of very nice people in the South. But I have not met many of them. I hope I have a chance to do that. At the same time, I know that there are lots of Southerners that really dislike (hate?) CA. Go ahead, I can take it.

 








NCO club

Pogey Bait. 

Geedunk – candy, gum, snacks or a cafeteria

Slop chute

No comments:

Post a Comment