Sunday, December 18, 2005

A Wet and Rainy Day

Sunday morning is here and it’s quite wet…outside. I can’t see the rain but I can certainly hear it as it pounds on the patio cover. So I imagine that it will be another cold and gloomy day here. It certainly was dismal yesterday; never getting much beyond the 45 degree mark and the drizzle continued all day and into the night.

Speaking of yesterday, I can report that I was able to convince Kyle to try my homemade waffles in lieu of the frozen creations that he usually favors. Of course I had to include chocolate chips to influence his decision. Now I wish I had taken a picture of his face midway through breakfast. Chocolate from ear to ear and a big grin.

More News from the War on Taxes; last week: On December 15th, Senator Proxmire died. A truly great American. You might be interested to know that he wasn’t against taxes at all, (On principle? What principle, Grover Norquist?) but he was definitely against government waste.

And being against taxes is an intellectually bankrupt position. Are you against all taxes? Or just some? Do you get to pick the ones you like? And since this is a free society, don’t I get to pick the ones I like?

I did some prowling around on the ATR website and found that it had more misinformation and plain old-fashioned lies than most websites of the Radical Right. These people are scary! And to top it off, Mr. Norquist had decorated the site with this quote from that most famous of American Presidents…Grover Cleveland. (who?)

"I will not be party to stealing money from one group of citizens to give to another group of citizens; no matter what the need or apparent justification. Once the coffers of the federal government are open to the public, there will be no shutting them again. It is the responsibility of the citizens to support their government. It is not the responsibility of the government to support its citizens."
-- President Grover Cleveland  Now is that a great campaign speech or what?

Emphasis added…I guess Grover didn’t notice that part of the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment