Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Damn Yankees - Not the Musical

Watching the movie, Cold Mountain, made me think about the Civil war again. (Inappropriate name – “Civil”) And I couldn’t help but think about the fact that this war is still not over. There are places in the Deep South, in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia – where the battle rages on in ignorant people’s minds. I have driven through small backwoods towns where I felt most unwelcome; and I’m white, but an obvious Yankee. From the glares, I think they assume that every stranger is a Yankee. I’ve seen places where the “Stars and Bars” are still displayed. It’s been over 140 years now. I wonder how long it will take?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:33 AM

    I just saw a truck driving down the road in Yuba City the other day with a stars and bars flag flying from the back off 6 foot poles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would that have been South Yuba City?

    I know far too many great Southerners to make any generalizations about the South...but the South still has these small pockets of ignorance and hatred. If you dig deep enough in those pockets, you will find that the Civil War still resonates as if it were yesterday.

    ReplyDelete