Thursday, December 28, 2006

Boring!

I quickly grew bored as I circled the park this morning and so I indulged in my favorite fantasy…winning the lottery and deciding how to spend the money. Getting started in this fantasy was easy as I had bought a lottery ticket yesterday and the prize was $30 million. I think that figures out to be about $12 million after all of the taxes are paid. Anyway; I used 12 as my daydream starting number. Now here is what happens after I win…

First; I would have to call all the family together so we could enjoy the moment! How about a hotel in San Francisco? We would need rooms for all of the family… Dunn’s, Ahlswede’s, Kelly’s, Medici, Zumwalt’s, Maiorano’s, McPhearson’s. Did I miss any? Did I misspell?

Then I think we would need to form a trust that would encompass all of us. (Remind me to invite a lawyer to our meeting) First order of business would be to disperse 10% to charities. Then we would create individual trust accounts for all of the minor children.

After doing all of the sensible things, we could spend some time brainstorming how we wanted to spend the rest of it. Business ventures would be my preference. How about a Plant Barn Annex in Garden Valley? Plus the new and expanded Plant Barn II located where the Growing Grounds used to be. And how about a fine yoga studio in Scottsdale Arizona? Kitty and Dean, as Trustees, can watch over that business venture if they wish. Of course Shannon will simply have to go to law school; we will need a family lawyer. Since everyone will be a member of the trust, all will be free to pursue their dreams.

As for ourselves; I’m thinking about investing in real estate. First; a home in Hawaii. Probably two of them; one a condo in Honolulu and the other would be a house on the Big Island. We will keep the Orland house but I would also want a loft in downtown Chico. And vacation homes! I can’t forget those. How about Rick Thompson’s place on the peninsula at Almanor. I hear it’s still for sale. And I would want to buy a cabin at Lower Twin Lakes. What else? Maybe another condo, but in San Diego and close to the docks at H&M landing.

Is there any money left? If not, it was sure was fun spending it!

No comments:

Post a Comment