Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Inconvenient

A warming trend! I’ve turned off the steady stream of firewood now and will rely on natural gas for maintaining the warmth. Natural gas? That almost sounds as if I wouldn’t have to pay for it, doesn’t it? I’m pretty sure that’s a wrong assumption.

Maintaining warmth makes for an interesting subject in itself after watching the movie, An Inconvenient Truth. But first… my complaints about the movies “star", Al Gore.

I know it’s simply perception on my part, but they really should have gone with another face to present these most compelling facts. He is flawed. Yet, he is part of the story; a vital part. Al Gore, a child and then, and now, an adult of great privilege and it shows in everything he does and says. I don’t believe he knows how he comes across to people; no one would consciously try and act this way. His constant references to celebrities of science and world leaders, always prefaced by the words, “My friend… the Pope” OK, bad example. And his references to all of the places in the world that he has been, “I went to the North Pole and then to the South Pole and then to the Amazon…and then…”

He is a man that is used to being on a stage, but he doesn’t have the “common touch” that lets him communicate well; or maybe it’s just me? I have a feeling that he would be the kind of person that I would greatly enjoy talking with in person and privately because it’s obvious that he is extremely intelligent and a man of many interests, with words and thoughts to share. My kind of guy!

But the movie is the important thing; that and the very graphic facts. (The small political digs scattered throughout were not needed. We already know what kind of a leader we have and telling us again won’t make things better.) In fact, the facts are so disturbing that there is a temptation to shut them out and say, “…it’s too late, it’s over! We’ve ruined our world.” Yet, we know we can’t do that. The movie should be seen by all and then we might be able to come together to do something about a very real danger.

And it’s interesting that no one has been able to refute the facts that Mr. Gore presents. Here was a perfect opportunity for the conservatives to embarrass him and to mock those who call themselves “Green”. Didn’t happen.

Small things: I couldn’t help but notice that Mr. Gore used an Apple computer. Sure, they are probably the best when it comes to graphic presentation materials. I’m certain that his presentations come off without any stumbling, no computer malfunctions for us to see and wonder about, but PowerBooks are also a perceived tool of the wealthy and privileged. Ordinary people use PC’s. (Oh, stop! Why do I do this to myself?)

Bottom line...watch the movie! Take notes!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:59 PM

    I couldn't agree more Uncle Steve, this was and amazing and disturbing film all rolled into one and should be required viewing by all American citizens (including all of our "leaders")

    See you soon!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:50 AM

    We're looking forward to it...!

    ReplyDelete